Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Update

I have been a little stressed lately. Joy has been advertised and, so far, I have only received two inquiries. I know this will take some time, but I only have 4 weeks to find her a home and this is week one. I'm praying for a miracle!

Anyway, my one friend asked me a sipmle question recently. She asked what my favourite breed was. I was surprised that I couldn't answer her immediately :p To be honest I don't really have a favourite breed. For me each horse is unique in their own special way.

But if I have to pick these would be my top 3:

My first would be the Boerperd. This breed is a very hardy breed. They have strong hooves and limbs. They can compete successfully in all disciplines making them good all rounders. They are known to be even tempered and gentle.



Hehe, I know this horse :) She is an SA Boerperd!

My second choice would be a Thoroughbred and Thoroughbred crosses. I still think they make excellent riding horses. I have only ridden a few, but I have seen what some f them can do in the showring :) Oh, and I love Thoroughbred cross Andalusians! That is an awsome cross!!!!

Thirdly, if I had to choose a Warmblood, I would choose a Trakehner. I don't know that much of the breed, but Linda Parelli's Allure got me hooked on the breed, lol.

Now, if I had to choose my favourite breed of pony there is only one breed that I really like and that is the Nooitgedagter. This is an South African pony breed (of course!). They get to around 15h.h but are excellent weight carriers. They have strong limbs and hooves, adapted for traveling on hard terrain. They are even tempered and make excellent childrens ponies :)





Mmmmmmmm, talking about horse breeds... I have been reading up on the Akhal Teke horses a bit and read that they are excellent endurance horses (able to survive very HARSH conditions). They are like the Thoroughbred of the desert. I wonder how this breed will compare to the Arabian in an endurance race? I would bet on the Akhal Teke :) There is rumors (can't say for sure if they are true) that the Arabian breed comes from the Akhal Teke.



Another breed I find rather fascinating is the Marwari. I love how their ears curl inwards!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment