Friday, November 27, 2009

Long time... no blog ;)

Hey

I've been itching to get writing on this blog, but I keep on finding myself either extremely busy or someone is using the computer :(

Anyway, so I have this little Welsh Cob X pony called Joy. She looks like Black Beauty, but only cuter :p She is black with three white socks and a star! And shiny as hell... in the sun, lol.

I got her because her previous owner didn't want her at all. The ass wanted to use her as a riding school pony and the poor thing was only 2 and a half at the time. I was supposed to train her for him, but how do you do that two a horse (em, pony) that's not even 3. I thought I would take it slow with her. She was a very nervous little thing. The owner, however, wanted her ready NOW. I didn't bother to go any faster :) She's young for goodness sake! Anyway, he ended up deciding to get rid off her. Not sell her... he just wanted to get rid of her NOW aka give her away. I felt so sorry for the little Joy and decided to take her myself :) Why not? She is young, hasn't had any training (no bad habits learned yet), good conformation and moves like a dream (so much potential!).

When she got to our farm she was VERY nervous. I had to leave her halter on to make sure I can even catch her! She didn't like people at all. At the time I was still working for the owner and didn't really have the time to start working her straight away. So I left her to graze on the farm and did the occasional "halter training" aka Parelli :p My family helped a lot too. They gave Joy (oh, and her half brother Jack who came with her to my farm to be trained) a lot of attention.

Joy is now a completely different pony! SHE LOVES ATTENTION and won't pass on the opportunity to get her bum scratched. You can touch her anywhere, even her face and ears which was impossible when we got her :)

About a month or two ago, I started backing her. I was expecting some fireworks considering she was a right brain (Parelli term, lol) when I got her. I rubbed the numnah over her... nothing. I put the saddle on... nothing. I got on her... nothing! She trusted me to the point where I could get on her with no fuss :) And in a halter!!!

We are now just doing basic training involving halt-walk-trot etc. transitions and turns. She has been doing extremely well :) I even had a little girl come ride her a bit and Joy behaved like a star!

So, back in the present now :) I was a little worried about Joy, because I found some heat in her right fore leg. She wasn't lame at all and there was hardly any swelling, but something just didn't feel right to me. Knowing how serious lower leg injuries are, I didn't want to take any chances. I've rested her for the past week. I sponged her leg down at least twice a day with icy water, applied ice man during the day and cooling clay at night. Looking at her this morning I would say she is looking good. When I called her this morning for breakfast she came cantering. When she trotted there was no bobbing head or signs of pain. Good.

I am now going to advertise Joy for sale. I have done as much as I can in terms of training. She is not nearly as well schooled as she could be, but she knows the basics and handles herself well with kids. I have less than two weeks to find her a new home (a stretch I know). I will be visiting a friend in Joburg on the 10th and will be staying there until January. And since we are moving end of December, I can't keep Joy. I am a little sad, but I know it is for the best. I am really gonna miss my baby girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment