Sunday, November 29, 2009

All clouds, but no rain :(

Hey :)

Well, our area has now officially been declared a drought disaster area. According to the newspapers we only have enough water to last us until end December, maybe January if we lucky! Scary stuff!!!

But I am a bit angry, because municipality should have seen this drought coming. All the signs were there, but they waited until it was glaringly obvious before enforcing water restrictions. My one friend has lived his whole life here and he says that our area has always had a history having 3 years of rain (including floods) followed by 3 years of drought. And now that I think about it, we have had a lot of flooding the past 2 years. Idiots! I am sure global warming is making the drought worse too. And if this is only the first year of drought then I don't know what it is going to be like the next 2 years! There is already talk that all water will be cut off from everyones houses and people will have to physically collect water at central points :o

We lucky here on the farm. We don't have piped water (shocking I know) and survive only on rain water. Yes, it is possible. Despite the drought we are doing good. We save as much water as we can. Bath water gets recycled to be used for tasks like washing the car, washing the dogs (lol), flushing the toilet and watering the grass :) The water we drink we buy from town.

Next door to us there is a diary farm. They are really feeling the heat of the drought. Their massive dam that they have is running extremely low. They never thought that would ever go dry... well now it is! If they don't have water to use on their pastures they won't have the grass for their hundreds of cow :( The sad thing is, the clouds are there, but it just doesn't want to rain! Stubborn clouds!!!!



The lovely green pastures belongs to the diary farm. You will be able to see what is left of the big dam.



Here is a close up of it. You can see the dry banks... now all of that use to be covered in water.



You can see the pretty clouds in this photo :( But they won't let go of those rain drops.


Anyway, so I finally posted an add for my pony Joy. I am waiting for the website to approve it (when they do i will post a link) and then I just have to wait and see :)

I went out this afternoon to take a few photos of Joy for the add. Poor thing had flies all over her face :( That is the only thing about living right next door to a diary farm- the flies!!! Well, as soon as I took a couple of photos I put Joy's fly mask on. And Renny's too. Renny (full name Serenity) is my friend's 2 year old. She is Joy's best friend :)



I love this photo of Joy :) She was posing for the camera ;p



My baby in her pretty pink fly mask! She was so happy when I put it on. No more flies :p



Renny playing Hide and Seek :)

No comments:

Post a Comment